Thank you for your consideration and interest in mentoring one of Capria’s Accelerator fund manager teams! Below is some additional information on the Intensive, the role of mentors, the time commitment, and how to get engaged.
The Intensive is a multi-week in-person program held in Seattle for impact fund managers based in emerging markets which focuses on key readiness areas for launching an impact fund in a shared learning environment.
The Role of the Mentor
As part of the Capria Intensive, we want fund managers to have access to accomplished professionals and investors such as yourself who will advise them as they raise their funds and incorporate global best practices into their investment business. We believe based on our experience working with these teams for the past few months that mentors will find the experience both fascinating and fulfilling.
Mentors commit to providing:
- Timely advice, guidance and feedback to fund management teams on materials developed or refined during the four week Intensive (e.g., exec summary, PPM, investor pitch deck, term sheet)
- Introductions to relevant connections in the US or overseas to help fund managers grow their networks
- Dedicated time each month for discussions with your mentee
- A confidential environment dedicated to shared learning and respect
- Weekly feedback to Capria about suggested areas of focus or improvement for your mentee
Our Pairing Process
We will pair mentors and fund managers using characteristics such as:
- Complementary expertise and overall experience with regards to investment approach
- Geography – experience in similar geographies desired but not required
- Personality and our impression of the likelihood a mentor and a team will develop a longer term relationship. Although not required, we hope that mentors and teams continue to stay in touch beyond the Intensive.
- Personal requests from teams to work with a specific mentor
We have discussed mentor pairings in detail as a team. However, if you don’t think the pairing is a good fit, please let us know and we can look to make adjustments based on your feedback.
The following is the minimum time commitment we expect mentors to make:
- One 1 hour conversation before the first week of the Intensive, arranged by Capria
- A minimum of one additional 45 minute – 1 hour conversation scheduled during the remaining three weeks of the Intensive, scheduled by the fund manager and the mentor
- One 45-60 minute conversation once a month with the team after the Intensive at the mentor’s convenience, until they reach first close
Please let us know if you are unable to make such a commitment and we can discuss alternative options for engagement.
To respect the mentor’s time commitment and ensure everyone gets the most out of the experience, we have established the process below:
- Capria will provide the mentor with supplemental information on the teams and the pre-selected mentee
- A representative from Capria will be available for conversations before the Intensive if necessary
- Capria representative will confirm a mentor’s availability for the first scheduled meeting with the team by obtaining three times a mentor would be available before Week 1 of the Intensive
- If the fund managers have a conflict with the prearranged time, the fund managers are responsible for coordinating a mutually convenient time with their mentor
- Capria will reach out to the mentor to schedule the initial conversation