At Capria, we advance and invest in experienced, data-driven, bold fund managers that invest in profitable, sustainable businesses, generating superior financial returns and scalable impact.
The Ultimate Goal:
Last Sunday, I played a football (soccer for our American friends) game with several neighbors from Mercer Island, WA. Despite the effort, my performance during the game was decidedly average. Other players had better skills; some have been playing for years and others were simply much younger than me. Nearing the end of an even match, I happened to look towards the stands and saw my wife and two football-fan sons walking towards the soccer pitch! With their support, I actively chose to shift my mindset. Coincidentally, I realized that someone was passing me the ball.
Part of me was looking at my family, the other, was focusing on the ball. I decided to shoot. The ball flew between the defense and right past the goalie to become the winning goal! I felt like I was in a movie! Amazing moment! My teenage dream came true at 35! The whole team was celebrating, and I was happy to have my family there and glad to see my kids were proud of their dad. What’s more, the team leader invited me to hang out at his home. The pivotal moment shifted my reality from the “average stranger” to a “trustworthy team player“.
Fortune Favors the Prepared
While the goal was singular moment, I can identify certain elements acquired in all the moments preceding it, that helped me shift during the match from the new guy appearing average, to bringing high returns (winning the football game in this case).
These are the following –
- Be at the pitch
- Be aware of your strengths and weakness
- Have team spirit
- Have a strong drive and motivation, that will make you want to be better
- Take decisions in key moments – do not procrastinate
- Point in the right direction (a slight initial change in the kick/vector could have shifted the ball’s trajectory and launched it into the bushes)
- Finally, be prepared. As Gary Player (golf star) stated: “The more I practice, the luckier I get”. The sum of these elements contributes to generating a virtuous cycle and thus in turn, strengthens confidence
Do you think you have what it takes
At Capria, we support teams, who can deliver superior financial returns and have an impact DNA. They have a local presence in their targeted markets, strong deal flow, exceptional networks, fundraising traction, and are fully committed to successfully building their funds and contributing to the overall Capria Network. We expect fund managers to –
- Have a learning mindset – no matter how far you are, whether it’s your third fund or first , in order to be effective in this industry, we believe you have to continually learn and improve
- Embrace and exemplify a team spirit – building an enduring investment firm is extremely difficult and teams throughout the Capria Network understand the benefits of working together
- Be driven and passionate about what they do; display high levels of grit and commitment over long-term
- Adapt as necessary when things go unplanned; shifting mindsets and strategies to achieve results even though adversity
- Be resilient and optimistic
- Realize that by having this mindset, you can be “luckier than others”
These are just some of the characteristics we look for in teams we evaluate. As we get to know teams better, we shift to the Capria Quantum- an assessment tool that we use in conjunction with fund managers to identify key areas that will contribute to the long-term success and growth of an impact investment firm across 10 categories.
Closely connected to the ideal mindset we look for, are fundraising skills.
At Capria, we connect and receive interest from High Net Worth Individuals and Family Offices around the globe. We tell them about impact investing, and they are interested. We tell them about the Capria team and it builds trust. We tell them about our portfolio of fund managers and they get attracted to them. Why do these fund managers catch their attention? Because they are not average. Why are they not average? They are not average because:
- Of their investment experience, well-thought strategies, strong network, impact DNA, and unrelenting commitment.
- Of their character, tenacity, and consistent search and efforts to deliver higher financial and impact returns.
Ready for your shot?
At Capria, we value the above characteristics. We provide smart capital and advance the next generation of impact fund managers in emerging markets. Capria prepares fund managers to be investment ready to top global LPs and connect them with our global network of fund managers, advisors, investors, and business leaders. We work hard for our fund managers to succeed, to “score” from sourcing to exit, and for those goals to open new doors for them and their entire team. This helps the virtuous circle not only to start, but also to scale.
Applications to Capria’s 4th investment cycle are open until May 19th, 2017 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. If you are an impact fund manager working in an emerging economy, we are excited to hear from you. Click here to Apply >